[CentOS] Tmp directory and sticky

Bob Hoffman

bob at bobhoffman.com
Mon Sep 15 06:18:27 UTC 2008

I noticed after my install that the tmp directory was

A- not a sticky
B- still executable

I went and changed etc/fstab to add loop,noexec,nosuid,rw, which I hope is
the right thing to do.
I rebooted and it looks like it worked.

When doing an ls -l on the main directory, the tmp folder lit up all green
in putty (cool, I hope)

But the chmods I did with winscp will not take effect (they do on other
directories) so I manually ran chmod 1777 on the tmp folder.

Since centos seems to be pretty good at pre configuration, I am concerned
that maybe I should not do this, but every security book says to do it.

I am imagining I will be okay, and I hope if it is right, that others on the
list that do not know about this, make the change. Especially if running a
webserver.

Right or wrong?