[CentOS] Re: alias ip-addresses at loopback

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 15:32:02 UTC 2008

Dmitry Cherkasov wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> Could anybody advice on the following problem.
> I need to assign several ip-addresses to 'lo' interface (beside
> It is convenient to me to implement NAT with such
> addresses.

The "lo" interface already accepts packets with any 127.x.y.z
address.  Do you really need more addresses than the

     $ ping -c1
     PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.
     64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.104 ms

I did absolutely nothing special to set that up.  I also routinely
have an stunnel process listening on, and again, I
did nothing special with the interface configuration or routing
tables to allow that to work.

                 Do NOT delete it.