[CentOS] Re: question on sending mail with 5.2

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 15 15:43:27 UTC 2008

on 9-13-2008 2:50 AM Ralph Angenendt spake the following:
> Luke S Crawford wrote:
>> considering just how many people use greylisting, this is likely a
>> bad idea.    Greylisting works by rejecting the first message from a new
>> server with a 4xx (temporary) error code.   If the server tries again
>> immediately or never tries again, it's probably a spammer.  If the server
>> waits a reasonable period of time (say, 30 minutes) and then re-sends the
>> mail,  it's probably legit, and the greylist program puts that server on the
>> whitelist so mail from that server goes through right away next time.
>> Many people set things up such that if you try again immediately, you get
>> put on a blacklist, as you are probably a spammer.
> I really don't understand why people just don't turn off their mailservers if they
> don't want mail from others.
I just don't want mail from others that are sending me bulk crap telling me
how inadequate my manhood is or plugging the next new penny stock, or can't
take 5 minutes to read how to setup their server properly.

If someone wants to send me legitimate mail, I'll do my best to accept it.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!