[CentOS] CentOS on Dell Poweredge 2850

Sorin@Gmail sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 09:43:31 UTC 2008

Lunix1618 <> scribbled on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:35 AM:

>> Our department's planning to buy a refurbished Dell Poweredge 2850 running
>> dual-xeons and with a rather big raid array (8x 146GB).
>>
>> *My* plan is to install CentOS on this machine and I'd like to hear with
>> you guys if there are any gotchas' doing this.
>>
>> My main concern is the ability of CentOS to recognise the raid-controller
>> of the Dell and run a raid5-array as well as drivers for the onboard NICs.
>>
> I am running Dell 2950 III and no issue with hardware recognization of
> CentOs (5.2 Final)
>
> The one small thing is I can not extend the RAID volume because at the
> beginning time we only have 03 HDD now when we buy new HDD we recognize
> that RAID controller (PERC 6/i) doesn't support add new HDD to existing
> volume :( so only a choice is rebuild it.

Fast reply, thx. 8-)

No hw-issues sounds good!

Do you mean extending the array from within CentOS or at firmware level at
boot-time?

I doubt however this'd be an issue with us, since the machine comes fully loaded
from start with eight disks and we're not likely to add any more, new or bigger,
except in the case of a disk-failure.

Thx for the feedback.