[CentOS] Strange browser displays with 5.x on Dell GX-260

Thu Sep 18 03:08:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I had been running CentOS 4.x for quite some time with no problems.
> Apparently I stubbed my toe when installing CentOS 5 final.
>
> Symptoms:  various web sites are not properly displayed in Firefox 3.0.1 (or
> predecessors).  In particular, cnn.com and any calls to Google display with
> a screen full of ascii characters rather than images.  When I look at "page
> info" within Firefox, it shows "quirk" mode rendering rather than "standards
> compliant" mode.
>
> BTW, I'm running the same version (in fact, using the same DVD iso) on my
> home machine, a Gigabyte system I've cobble up, with no such problem.
>
> Any ideas out there?

Only a "WAG". I'm using Firefox 3.0.1 on CentOS 5.2 (32 bit) and just
looked at CNN (International and U.S. versions), with, as you see
at home, no problem(s). Possibly a Graphics issue? Did you "Upgrade"
from CentOS 4.x to 5 or did you do a "Clean" install?  BTW, I had
issues with Firefox 2.x, with Gmail.com for example, that went away,
after I upgraded to CentOS 5.2 and got Firefox 3.x.  I think there
were major library changes, from CentOS 4.x to 5.0 and if you
Upgraded, something may be awry. Possibly remove Firefox and then
install again, in case something is corrupted. GL