[CentOS] Network issues with CentOS 5.2

ankush grover ankushcentos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 15:35:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Joey Mendez <jmendez at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> I appreciate your reply to my email. The steps ou have given me are things
> that I have done and are already in place. I still cannot get the eth to
> activate unless I issue it a static IP it for some reason will not activate
> under the DHCP selection. Has anyone ever experienced this.
>
> If I do assign it an IP it will activate but still has no internet
> connection. I can ping itself but cannot ping any machine outside of it or
> have a machine outside be able to ping it.

Hi,

For internet to work properly dns servers needs to be entered if you
are using static ipaddress. Open the terminal and edit
/etc/resolv.conf  file through any text editor and enter dns servers

domain  example.com   # Incase you want this domain to be your default domain
nameserver   xx.xx.xx.xx   # Dns Server ipaddress or hostname
nameserver  xx.xx.xx.xx    # DNS Server ipadddress or hostname

save the file and restart nscd service

service nscd restart

As you mentioned you are not able to ping the machine outside kindly
check the firewall rules aka iptables.

iptables -L

If you don't want to use iptables or firewall on this machine then run
the below commands

iptables -F

service iptables save

chkconfig iptables off

Now check the network connectivity by pinging other machines.

Note: You need to be root to perform the above steps

Regards

Ankush