[CentOS] Strange browser displays with 5.x on Dell GX-260

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 19 21:19:15 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:22 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 02:47 -0400, Dick Roth wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> This was a clean install, however I kept my /home directory intact.  The
>>> rest of the partitions were reformatted.
>> Try resetting all your preferences? Maybe a major format change in the
>> control files under .mozilla directories?
>
> When you launched Mozilla Firefox the first time, I suspect that it
> created a new .mozilla directory in /home  and wiped out your old one.
>
> Have you tried to "yum remove firefox" and then "yum install firefox"
> to see if the issues stop or continue?

Renaming ~/.mozilla and reinstalling Firefox cured my problems.
Apparently the .mozilla file in my Home directory, which was not
re-formatted, was at odds with the new install.  There was a bit of work
to reclaim bookmarks, but all appears to be well now.  Thanks to Lanny
and Jerry for the help.

Dick

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1755