[CentOS] Centos on EeePC 1000H

Peter Duffy peter at mhoram.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 15:05:44 UTC 2008

Just wondering if anyone else was trying to get Centos 5.2 onto an EeePC

My EeePC came with XP, and I planned to put Centos on it in a dual-boot
config. I've been struggling with this for a few evenings now, with some
success (the wired ethernet is atl1e (gigabit rather than 10/100) - not
supported in the latest Centos 5.2 kernel, but I managed to build in
support using this:

(it's a Suse RPM, so takes a bit of persuading to install on Centos:
I'll post details of the method I used if anyone wishes.)

But at the moment I'm stuck on the audio card. The system seems to
detect it happily enough as Intel HDA, with a Realtek ALC269 chip, but
there's no sound. I'm sure I've hit a similar problem in the past with
the snd-hda-intel driver - I think it's a matter of figuring out the
right value for the "model=..." parameter. Has anyone else got this to

Thanks in advance for any comments.