[CentOS] CentOS on a Sunfire 880

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Sep 21 22:10:24 UTC 2008

Am 21.09.2008 um 22:59 schrieb Bernard 'Tux' Lheureux:

> Hi all,
>
> I just received a SunFire 880 machine and would like to install CentOS
> on it I think it is possible but should be very interested on advices
> and tips & tricks on how to do it the best way...
> Thanks for your help...

Does CentOS actually exist for SPARC?

You can (and should) install Solaris on it. (Trying to go with CenOS
on this box is bordering the bizarre, IMO).
What specs does your V880 have?

I'm always puzzled why people would go to great lengths just to
install _favorite_OS on some hardware that is otherwise fully
supported by _native_OS.

Rainer