[CentOS] CentOS on a Sunfire 880

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sun Sep 21 22:32:32 UTC 2008

On Sunday 21 September 2008 06:23:54 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Well having spent a week on Solaris 10.. I can understand why. Most of
> the tools I am used to getting in a base install of CentOS are not
> there.. and I will be spending most of this week getting various tools
> installed so that the programmers do not need to have a crazy chain of
> if/else logic to deal with OS of the week.

If that's your only complaint then download the latest version of Nevada.
Build 98 has a lot of the software you miss in Sol10. Not quite on
OpenSolaris level but its a big step up anyway.

Oh, and make sure /usr/sfw is actually in your path...

Linux/Sparc is fragile at best. Even Ubuntu/Sparc on a T2000 (a Sun certified
configuration) isn't nearly as stable as Solaris on the same HW.

Peter.