[CentOS] CentOS on a Sunfire 880

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Sep 22 00:10:49 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Hmmm that might be my problem. I had not looked at what additional
> paths were there. The boxes I am supposed to support are 2.7,2.8,2.9
> and 2.10 so I am going to have to figure out a way to 'unify' them as
> much as possible without breaking the core application's needs.

Solaris 7 (2.7, sunos 5.7) is way past end of service life, and 8 is
nearly there.   9 is nearing the end.     it doesn't make any sense to
support anything older than Solaris 9 and 10 for a new piece of software
unless you're going after some really krufty old markets.

its quite easy to write software and use a build tool chain that
supports both solaris and linux, just constrain your developers to a
POSIX base level of tools and don't let them snap at every flashy
oddball new tool just because you can.   write your shell scripts to
bourne shell rather than bash and they should work on both.   use perl
for most other scripting that sh isn't suitable for.    Sun provides GCC
with solaris 10 at least, in /usr/sfw/bin, however the Sun Studio C++
compiler, available free (installs to /opt/SUNWspro/bin) is a better
compiler for complex C++ projects.

also, a bunch of the GPL tools Linux developers may rely on are on the
Solaris 10 Companion CD, these install to /opt/sfw

if you need a robust apache+php+mysql environment on Solaris 10, use the
"Coolstack" package http://cooltools.sunsource.net/coolstack/
(they also have a newer/better perl5, python, tomcat, and various other
OSS stuffs).