[CentOS] Centos Kernel 4.7 Compile Help

Steve Moccio smoccio at ureachtech.com
Tue Sep 23 14:26:14 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to recompile the kernel from source. I downloaded the
source rpm (kernel-2.6.9-78.0.1.EL.src.rpm) from centos and
installed the rpm. In /usr/src/redhat – I unzipped and untar’d
the linuxx-2.6.9 base files. After doing that I wanted to patch
the kernel with the numerous patch files that came with the src

The problem that I am having is that a lot of the patch files
fail – an example:

patch -p1 < ../linux-2.6.9-megaraid-update.patch

patching file drivers/scsi/megaraid/mega_common.h

Hunk #1 FAILED at 27.

1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file

patching file drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_mbox.c

Hunk #1 FAILED at 10.

Hunk #2 FAILED at 217.

Hunk #3 FAILED at 244.

Hunk #4 FAILED at 286.

Hunk #5 FAILED at 340.

Is this not the right procedure for patching the kernel?

Any insight would be appreciated.