[CentOS] non-graphics install or fix xorg.conf?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Sep 24 13:44:21 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> How to access the kickstart via http (and where to put it, somewhere in
> the /centos/5/os/i386 structure?).

If your asking how to access the kickstart config via http? Put
ks=http://<IP address>/<path to config> as a kernel parameter

> What to put into the kickstart to get it to finish in text mode? And how
> to set the xorg.conf size? THis will be a lot of reading up on
> kickstart. Been a couple of years since I did my own kickstart. I did
> figure out how to setup my drive info...

put the word 'text' in the kickstart config for text mode. X
will attempt to configure automatically. There is an easy to understand
manual for Red Hat administration that details the various kickstart
options. None of the systems I kickstart run X11 so I don't have
any good ideas off the top of my head if anaconda doesn't auto
configure your resolution correctly.

For RHEL5/CentOS 5:

Sample config(my most advanced and versatile to date):