[CentOS] problem with FTP server---solved

fabian dacunha fabian at baladia.gov.kw
Wed Sep 24 17:44:07 UTC 2008

Dear ALl,

here below is the problem i had earlier and had posted my problem to the
list. thnks and appreciate all ur sugesstions but i did manage to solve
googling arround
right below i hav the solution may help someone arround

>> Dear All,
>>
>> i have the following centos FTP local FTP server having the following
>>
>> Centos 5
>> vsftpd-2.0.5-10.el5
>>
>> its been running fine for abt 2 years or so
>>
>> Now with IE5 or IE6 when i say ftp://ip address of FTP server it asks me
>> for the username and password and if its correct i directly go to the
>> /var/ftp/pub directly which is perfect
>
> You should contact support for IE7 and ask them that.
>
> Another thing to try, something I always recommend for people
> using web browsers to connect to ftp sites that are not anonymous,
> is to ftp with this url:
>
> ftp://<username>:<password>@address/path/
>
> Of course don't include the <>'s
>
> nate

Solution

In /etc/vsftpd.conf have the following

chroot_list_enable=YES
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd/chroot_list

create a file chroot_list and add the user who gonna ftp to the ftp server
the users home directory is the ftp root directory
Obviously the ftp user is a local user

so it works perfect .. but i still wonder why IE6 was working fine

thnks

fabian

> --
> believed to be clean.