[CentOS] DKIM

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Sep 24 21:23:55 UTC 2008

Bob Hoffman wrote:

> I have to say, in the 7 months or so since I got into this whole linux
> webserver, this is the most active thread I have ever encountered.
> I would assume most of us are a little unsure about the whole
> dkim/spf/sender id thing. And even according to the websites themselves,
> they are not sure of their own standards.

No, I'm very sure about SPF. It's crap. Utter crap. And it can break mails
in a very funny way.

Let's say you send me a mail to ralph at centos.org. That mail is just forwarded
to a different mail account. Now I get a mail from someone at hoffman.com, but
I get it via mail.centos.org which clearly isn't a server you would allow to
send mails out as @hoffman.com when you set up SPF for your domain. So if I
drop mails which don't have a "correct" SPF record - I'd drop that mail.

Although your domain has correct SPF records.

And yes, there are ways around it which make the whole thing even uglier.

Ralph