Andrew Norris andrewn at locus.net
Wed Sep 24 21:33:32 UTC 2008

John Kordash wrote:
>> mail.bobhoffman.com != bobhoffman.com
> Careful here.  Email senders have nothing to do with MX records.  Email receivers do.
> I believe bobhoffman.com is the email sender in this case.
> I would doubt this is an issue.  Any split in/out mail server is going to have a different host for receipt (MX) than send.
> -John

You're right, I was making an assumption I shouldn't have.  Namely that
there was a single host/ip for both sending and receiving email.  Going
back to the logs he posted I'd say that assumption was correct in the end.

 From the yahoo headers:

So his MTA is EHLOing as mail.bobhoffman.com
mail.bobhoffman.com resolves to (matches the incoming ip) reverses to bobhoffman.com (which doesn't match the host)

As far as I can tell this will hurt his score.
Or am I missing something?

Andrew Norris
Systems Administrator
Locus Telecommunications