[CentOS] Reformatting a USB drive

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Sep 25 21:05:54 UTC 2008

Found this old message about formatting a USB drive and it leaves a few
questions for me:

I am going to format it as ext3 to keep permissions.  I don't need to
use this drive on any M$ system.

Do I unmount the drive after inserting it before I issue:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

BTW, when I do a 'man mkfs.ext3' it takes me to the man pages for mke2fs.

After the format is done, do I have to do anything to make sure
everything is 'written' to the drive before pulling it from the system?