[CentOS] DKIM

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Fri Sep 26 18:15:05 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Mouss wrote on Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:20:09 +0200:
>
>> oh please no. hotmail don't delete my mail and I don't have an SPF
>> record. no do yahoo/gmail. and this was before I implemented DKIM. and
>> I've recently worked for a project where SPF didn't help with hotmail
>
> Well, then they have some other obscure reason to silently delete all mail
> from me to my daughter's Hotmail account. I thought it might be the
> missing SPF record on that specific domain I used. Their support is not
> able to tell the reason.

like all the gorillas, they have complex filtering mechanisms, mostly
based on "reputation". among the freemail trilogy (gmail, yahoo, hotmail):

- gmail is more or less "workable". in short, they have better filtering
mechanisms in the sense that if you don't have too much problems in your
network, you can get your mail delivered provided you do some
(reasonable) efforts.

- yahoo are lost in space. their filters probably block a lot of junk,
but they also block a lot of legitimate mail, and it's hard to get
around this. but at least, they either block you at smtp time or file
your mail to a junk folder.

- hotmail is the worst. they simply discard mail. This is not
surprising, because MS has never showed any "attachment' to standards.
they still believe that they are the gods on earth and they can discard
your mail "frivoulously" (to use the RFC term).

in short, if your business targets freemail users, it's time to review
your target or your business. or do whatever you want, but accept this:
"we" will not be able to help you. it's their server and their slaves.
you can't talk to the kids if the parents don't agree.