[CentOS] Re: Moving folder just vanished??

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 20:50:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 15:54 +0100, Stewart Williams wrote:
> Thanks for both of your responses.
>
> Sorry for the non-threaded post, but I'm e-mailing from somewhere else.
> <snip>

> @ William L. Maltby
>
> I have looked everywhere on the drive using programs such as 'find'. I
> have ran:
>
> $ find / -iname "*.jpg" -or "*.JPG"

Minor points that probably have no effect unless there's a *.jpg file in
the current directory: use single, not double quotes, to avoid shell
expansion. You want the asterisk to get passed into the find command as
a parameter. Also, the "iname" says ignore case, so only one iteration
is needed.

> and the missing files are now listed.

Now or not?

> I know enough to be able to find files. This is whats got me because
> I've never know an ext3 fs to do this; unless it's a bug with fuse-encfs.

This makes me think they are still *not* listed?

Last stab in the dark: any "undelete" capability on that file system? If
the files are not found, I am guessing they have been deleted. Barring
that facility, I hope you have a recent backup.

Good luck.

--
Bill