[CentOS] Network installation from CD

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:17:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 16:59, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
>   Is there a way to have the second phase network configuration NOT take
>   place,

Not that I know of.

>   or have it use the interface that was correctly downloading the
>   kickstart file ?

Yes!

I do something similar here. I use a script to generate the "network"
line, because I want to choose my IPs and netmasks during installation
and I don't want to hardcode them in the ks.cfg file.

Here is what I do:

I create a %pre section to ks.cfg, this will be a script (in my case a
Python script) that will ask the user for any needed information. Then
it will look up the boot-up interface by looking at
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf and choosing the first entry that starts with
"eth", then it will generate a "network" line and save it to
/tmp/netconfig.

Then, before on the ks.cfg file, where the network configuration is
expected, I use a %include /tmp/netconfig

For me, it works like a charm! Let us know if you try it and it works for you.

HTH,
Filipe