[CentOS] Gnome Desktop Questions?

Fri Sep 5 15:41:54 UTC 2008
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I have a couple of oddities that I hope someone here can clarify for me.

OS = CentOS-5.2 all updates applied to date.

1. On the gnome desktop in the top panel (or menu bar) I have an icon for
"System Monitor" which runs the application "gnome-system-monitor".  On my
other desktop CentOS-5.2 system I have the same thing.  However, one one
system the icon gives me a real time (ok 5 sec intervals) display of cpu
load as cyan and white bar graphs .  On the other system the same
application gives me a static, sickly green and yellow, display of an
oscilloscope. How do I get the dynamic version of the icon?  I have
checked and both systems are running the same version of the applicvation
from the same location. /usr/bin/gnome-system-monitor --version = 2.16.0

2. On the same two systems, the first (the one with the dynamic display)
has entries on the system dropdown menufor locking the display, logging
out and shutting down.  On the second all I have is logout and suspend.
Going to the Gnome Menu manager does not give me any option to add the
missing items.

Can somebody tell me how to get these minor, but for me very desirable,
changes made to the second system?  The only difference between the two
systems that I can recall is that one (the first) was upgraded from 4.6
while the second (the more limited unit) was a clean install.

Sincerely,
Canada  L8E 3C3