[CentOS] LCD blanks out overnight

Tue Sep 9 13:39:51 UTC 2008
Joe Tseng <joe_tseng at hotmail.com>

I inherited an ancient Dell Latitude C840 and recently installed CentOS 5.2 on it.  It worked fine for the most part, but when I left it overnight and came back the next morning, the screen blacked out and wouldn't come back unless I did a hard reset.  Even though I turned off all the power management settings and left it set like a desktop, the next morning after that it still blacked out.  I thought maybe it'd come back if I switched from X to a virtual text console, but that didn't do the trick.  Has anyone seen this and what do I do to fix it?

tia,

  - Joe