[CentOS] Strange ! characters inserted into emails

Thu Sep 18 16:29:52 UTC 2008
Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com>

I have never encountered anything like this before, so thought I'd post here
and see if anyone can help.

We have a java application that sends out notification emails to end-users.
The body of the email is some boilerplate text and HTML that is pulled from
a database.  When the emails are received there are random instances of " !"
(that's a space and a bang symbol) inserted into the email in various
locations.  For example a sentence that is supposed to read like this:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

ends up looking like this:

The quick b !rown fox jumped over the laz !y dog.

We combed through the source text and didn't find any unusual characters in
the body of the text.  Somehow these bang symbols are being inserted after
the mail is handed off to sendmail.  Does anyone have an idea how I can
troubleshoot this further?  Or maybe you've seen something similar in your
environment?

thanks

Sean