[CentOS] More on Linux on the OQO

Tue Sep 23 20:07:47 UTC 2008

I am going over:  ftp://ftp.oqo.com/unsupported/linux/OQOLinux.html

This is for the 'older' model 1, I have the model 2.  The files are 18
mo old, and relate to kernel 2.6.10.  Of course I want to avoid a custom
kernel, but please help me understand what is being covered here:

"2. Enable crusoe processor in kernel .config

CONFIG_MCRUSOE=y"

What is the crusoe processor?

3. Programs such as 'hwclock' synchronize on the RTC periodic interrupt
for accuracy. We need to disable RTC IRQ support in the kernel as we
don't get the periodic interrupt. In the kernel .config set
CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ to 'y'. This enables the high performance event
timer irq and in the process disables the rtc driver interrupt code:

CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=y"

How do I do this with the Centos kernel?

"4. ACPI processor module (idle handler) interferes with transmeta
longrun scaling. Set ACPI_PROCESSOR to 'n' or not set

# CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR is not set"

Does this mean I have acpi=none in the kernel line?  I really hope not.

"5. Kernel preempting option currently causes a bug to show up in the
wifi drivers, turn it off

CONFIG_PREEMPT=n"

I would hope to be using the dkms madwifi stuff.  Do I need this?

"6. Download the latest rtl8150 drivers from CVS at:
https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=15970. The drivers in the base
2.6.10 tree will kernel panic upon removal of the dock. Copy the new
driver to linux/drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c"

Don't see this as a problem as Centos has rtl8150 support.

"7. In drivers/input/serio/i8042-io.h, add 'i8042_noloop = 1' in the
function i8042_platform_init(). You only really need to do this if you
have OQO subprocessor version 10/5 (It'll say 'EC Build 10/5' on BIOS
post)."

What is this all about?

Still haven't actually tried an install.....