[CentOS] fix firefox?

Thu Sep 25 16:11:35 UTC 2008
Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com>

I once had firefox x86_64 installed (because it was the default).
But that one has problems with plugins (flash, java), which are
much easily solved by using the i386 version.
So I unstalled firefox, and installed it again using:

   yum install firefox.i386

This worked, and even the plugins worked fine afterwards.

I did have some problems when uninstalling, because yum insisted
on a whole load of dependencies going up to uninstalling the package
'firstboot' (wow!).  However I can't remember the exact details anymore.
I do not remember having to force anything; just reinstall a little
bit more than I was expecting to.
I do remember that after the erase/install, no particular problems
were left and I used firefox since then without any problems.

Today came the update for firefox 3.0.2.

So I did "yum update".  The depencies included xulrunner and devhelp.

However, yum complained about a conflict between xulrunner 1.9.0.1
being incompatible.  So I erased xulrunner first (yum erase xulrunner).

And then installed firefox again:

   yum install firefox.i386

it pulls in xulrunner as well, but two different versions for two different
architectures (???):

  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
  firefox                 i386       3.0.2-3.el5.centos  updates            11 M
Installing for dependencies:
  xulrunner               x86_64     1.9.0.2-5.el5    updates            10 M
  xulrunner               i386       1.9.0.1-1.el5_2  updates            10 M

and afterwards firefox complains:

  $ firefox
  Could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9.0.2 and 1.9.0.2.

Any idea how to fix the fox?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *