[CentOS] Configure an ATI Radeon X1200 card?

Tue Sep 30 04:59:33 UTC 2008
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

I want to configure X on a NEC PC with an ATI graphic card. Usually, I
do that by hand, e. g.:

# init 3
# X -configure  --> first draft
# mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11

Then I edit this with Vi, step by step. Usually, this works, but not for
ATI cards. Here, the first draft only gives me a "vesa" driver... though
xorg-x11-drv-ati is installed. But then, when I replace

Driver "vesa"

by:

Driver "ati"

I get a "No screens found" error.

Until now, I've successfully configured dozens of different video cards,
mostly Intel and NVidia (old and new), and also a few ATI cards (with
the opensource driver). But this is the first ATI card that gives me
trouble.

Any suggestions?

Niki