[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Mon Sep 1 13:44:45 UTC 2008
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 22:21 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 11:20 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
> > When I first encountered a customer who had disk drive problems such that
> > we replaced the 8in drives in their Radio Shack Model II several times, it
> > wasn't until I went on-site to find that they were storing their floppies
> > by sticking them to the file cabinet with refrigerator magnets.  The
> > amazing thing to me was that I found that this was a fairly common problem.
> >
> > Then there was the person who stapled the floppy to a cover letter.
>
> Just turning the machine off, with the 8" floppy still in the drive
> would spike the boot sector. Luckily I knew a guy that could resurrect
> it. That was on the IMSAI VDP-88 with voice-coil. By the time I got it,
> they weren't making replacement boot disks as IMSAI was long out of
> business. Govt. State Surplus is your friend, if you're into old
> iron. :) Ric

Hmmm, Processor Technologies used to have a voice coil actuated dual
drive that shared it between both drives IIRC.  Interesting drive with a
motorized eject, thing is you had to wait for the disk to complete eject
before you grabbed it, if you grabbed it before it finished coming out
the arm the pushed the disk out would jamb.

This discussion really should be on the classic computers mail list.

Hmmm 2Mhz 8080a vs 3.0Ghz Core 2 duo ... things have changed a bit on
the personal computer side.

Paul