[CentOS] Help using ed [OT]

Mon Sep 1 17:26:03 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 19:45 +0200, Thomas Johansson wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Perhaps omeone might answer this tricky problem. I can do this other
>> ways, but i really want to understand how to solve it using ed. I have
>> one solution using g/re/s/re//txt/ , but I want to understand how or if
>> i can solve it using the ed (.)a command.
>
>OK. But keep in mind that many folks (and distros?) believe ed is
>hopelessly outdated and some even advocate its removal from
>distributions. Thankfully some other packages(s) depend on it.

Instead of ``ed' one can use ``ex'' which should be in any distribution as
its part of ``vi'' or ``vim''.  I think the command set of ``ed'' is a
subset of ``ex'' so scripts should work the same.

I frequently use the gnu shtool program for this sort of thing unless the
job is very simple, and I really want to edit the file in place.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

The stamping of paper is an operation so much easier than the laying of
taxes, that a government, in the practice of paper emissions, would rarely
fail, in any such emergency [such as an election], to indulge itself too
far in the employment of that resource... -- Alexander Hamilton