[CentOS] I need help with GRUB

Mon Sep 1 17:53:40 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld at gmail.com> wrote:>
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 09:47 +0530, Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> >    And the problem that I'm having is with my two Linux distros. Ive
>> > installed CentOS & Windows in my SATA HDD and I've used my complete
>> > 40GB PATA HDD for Ubuntu. Well all OS's work fine with out any
>> > problems but when I want to boot into CentOS I've to select the SATA
>> > as my booting HDD from the BIOS if I want to go to Ubuntu the I've to
>> > select my PATA as the default HDD from the menu. So what I want to do
>> > is I need to add Both distros in to one GRUB boot loader and the other
>> > thing is that both grubs that I've on both HDD s only detects the
>> > windows Partition not the Linux partion. So I need to to know how to
>> > add bothe Linux versions I've into one GRUB. I want to use the SATA
>> > HDD as my default HDD.
>>
>> You'll want to merge the grub boot stanzas into one file, apply it to
>> one (or both) of the drives, and keep it in sync when you do kernel
>> updates (because those affect the grub menu)... This way, you won't have
>> to change the BIOS setting.
>>

> OK, thx for the quick reply but I realy don't know how to do that can any
> one help on that note.

Possibly what you need to do is add another entry in your
/etc/grub.conf file, on the HD you boot from.  Below is  mine.

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$ sudo cat /etc/grub.conf
Password:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.10.el5)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.img acpi=off
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.6.el5)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.img acpi=off
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img acpi=off
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
[lanny at dell2400 ~]$