[CentOS] Backup and reinstall a CentOS server

Tue Sep 2 13:06:10 UTC 2008
admin <mick at mjhall.org>

> Yes, the /boot partition can be md raid. But it can't be LVM. We're
> using md raid for all server that have no hardware raid controllers.
> GRUB can be installed on both drives at the same time, no problem.
>
> Good idea and I think it should be no performance problem. But use LVM!
> Don't do md raid for each partition you need. Make 2 md raids and put
> LVM on the 2nd (first for /boot) and use logicalvolumes for your
> partitions...

I believe that if /boot is on RAID1, that md partition has to be on one
of the first two disks (eg hda, hdb)?

Is there any problem with having /boot on a RAID1 partition across 4
disks as follows?

	/boot	/ (LVM)
hda	RAID1	RAID5
hdb	RAID1	RAID5
hdc	RAID1	RAID5
hdd	RAID1	RAID5

What about swap? It is best on RAID1, RAID5, LVM, something else or
doesn't matter?

Mick