[CentOS] VMWare Server doesn't like new CentOS installation?

Thu Sep 4 06:53:35 UTC 2008
Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org>

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:22:19PM -0700, MHR wrote:
> I just got a nice, shiny new machine at work, a Core 2 Duo, on which I
> went and got the latest VMWare Server, 1.0.7, from VMWare, pulled down
> their rpm, installed it, and ran vmware-config.pl, which is what I
> have to do (at home) after every new kernel install, too.
>
> If you do have "inetd" or "xinetd" installed, make sure that /etc/inetd.conf or
> /etc/xinetd.d exists.
> The configuration will continue, but you should re-run
> /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl after you fix the super-server.

You don't have xinetd installed (not installed by default).
rpm -q xinetd || yum install xinetd
and re-run vmware-config.pl

btw, if you have SElinux enforced you will probably need to run:
restorecon -v /etc/services

Cheers,

Tru