[CentOS] What is the minimum ISO to build a server?

Thu Sep 4 13:39:01 UTC 2008
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Florin Andrei a écrit :

> Often I just use the first CD (out of the regular set of install CDs).
>
> http://mirror.its.uidaho.edu/pub/centos/5.2/isos/i386/CentOS-5.2-i386-bin-1of6.iso
>
> Choose "customize package groups" (or whatever is the name of that
> option) and then unselect all package groups except Base.
>
> This will give you a relatively "minimal" system. If you want to install
> anything after that, just do a "yum install".

That's one of the very few drawbacks from CentOS, compared to other
distros. If you're a non-english user, you have to use either a DVD or
the set of CDs. When I install either a server or a desktop, I always
start out from a minimal system (that is, everything unchecked except
'Base').

CentOS 5.1 needed CDs 1, 4 and 5 to do a minimal install. With CentOS
5.2, CDs 1, 3 and 4 are needed. Two extra CDs to install a total amount
of three localization packages. And there seems to be no way to abort
the install after CD1 and then fetch the remaining packages (which
ones?) from the internet.

But then, as german writer Kurt Tucholsky said (referring to a beautiful
woman): she only lacked a flaw to be perfect.

:o)

Niki