[CentOS] OT: Migration from Evolution to Thunderbird (Thunderbird mbox files)

Thu Sep 4 16:43:42 UTC 2008
mouss <mouss at netoyen.net>

Lanny Marcus wrote:

> My email is on gmail.com  IMAP and yes,

If it's on imap, then forget about TB mbox files. the messages are on
the server (TB can cache messages, but you are not supposed to know how
it exactly does. so don't play this game).

> I could start over with
> Thunderbird by downloading everything into Thunderbird from the IMAP
> server.
>
> The problem is that if I ever want to migrate from Thunderbird, I want
> to be sure that I know where the mbox files are located and at this
> time, I cannot find the mbox files.

just leave all mail on the server and use whatever client you want.
that's one of the benefits of imap.

> The documentation on the Thunderbird support site is not showing what I
> am seeing on my Desktop box.

most people use POP3, in which case messages are downloaded and stored
locally. Things are different with imap. the copies that the client
holds are only for performances and you are not supposed to use them.