[CentOS] A new blog on the block for Linux newbies

Thu Sep 4 19:34:08 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <RWalker at medallion.com>

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>
> [snip good advice]
>
> > Oh and don't forget virtualization is your friend in learning!
> >
> > VMware workstation, Parallels, Virtual Box, Xen, Hyper-V, they're
> > all good for learning!
> >
> > Create a VM per-distro, see how each distro installs, see how each
> > is managed. Take snapshots and play around with their configs, see
> > how they break, see if you can fix them, if not revert to the
> > snapshot. Get your feet wet.
>
> May I suggest that, if you really want to learn how a Linux
> system gets put together, and works, then get a copy of
> Linux from Scratch and build your own?
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Well for a newbie that might be too much to start with.

I'd probably go, CentOS/RHEL/Suse -> Gentoo, then if you know the
parts of a working distro well, then try to roll your own.

-Ross