[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Fri Sep 5 23:22:49 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 9-2-2008 1:44 PM MHR spake the following:
>
> I still have a pair of 40 MB MFM half-height 5.25" drives in the garage
> somewhere. I don't think I have an interface card even if I cared what was
> on them. Probably DOS 3.3 and Wordperfect 5 and some old college papers.

I have a 286-based system (might be 386 - not sure) that ran last time
I turned it on, and it has my ST506 MFM controller in it with a full
height Maxtor 140MB drive in it running DOS 3.3 (I think).  I don't
think I've turned it on in the last ten years or so - can't remember.

Wait - I've got a better one!

Way back in 1981, I bought a Commodore 64 with disk drive and
everything, and my wife used it for a while to write a bunch of stuff,
which we saved onto floppy.  We wound up taking the thing back because
there was a really nasty bug in the 64's OS (or something) that would
kill the machine and lose all data under certain, not too hard to
reproduce, circumstances.

In 2002, after much pleading from the other half, I got a 1541 disk
drive and a PC <-> 1541 data transfer cable from a gent in Hungary
(who makes them, relatively cheap) and restored ALL those files from
the C-64 onto my Win 98 PC.  It was instructive, amusing, and I'll
never (have to) do that again!

Unless someone needs some old C-64 files recovered, for a fee, of course....

Uh oh, my fingers are seizing up - yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

;^)

mhr