[CentOS] USB drive fails at sector 0xFFFFFFF

Mon Sep 8 14:30:11 UTC 2008
NiftyClusters Mitch <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> I'm backing up to a NTFS partition on an external USB drive with dump. I'm
> seeing failures in /var/log/messages reading sector 0xFFFFFFF that cause the
> verify pass to fail. Are there any known problems in the USB driver?
>
> Kernel via uname -a:
>
> Linux segw2.mpa.lan 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 13:49:24 EDT 2008
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Message reported. (Note the number 268435455, which is 0xFFFFFFF, and occurs
> every time I see this happen.

You are backing up to NTFS on Linux?

The NTFS  file system specification is a trade secret last I checked..

Anytime I see an error where the number is binary all ones I
suspect a magic number... and worry.

How was the disk partitioned?
How was this partition formatted?
Was the filesystem converted from old to new ntfs format?

 NiftyCluster
 T o m M i t c h e l l