[CentOS] Re: USB drive fails at sector 0xFFFFFFF

Mon Sep 8 19:34:22 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 12:12 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> <snip>
> >><snip>

> Sometimes a few of the PATA to USB interfaces do some strange things to I/O
> streams. I have a drive that would consistently lock my old XP workstations
> USB interfaces, but works fine on the new one.

Although I don't *think* this is related, can't tell. I have some new
Tosh USB drives that I used to serve ISO images for CentOS on my 4.6
Centos. If I let them run overnight, they would lock the system.

I moved them to the fully updated 5.2 CentOS and the problem
disappeared.

If you have a 5.2 that is not fully updated (kernel and drivers are my
guess as to potential problems), maybe there is a causal relationship
there.

Also, the 4.6 has a VIA KT-400A chipset while the 5.2 has a KT880
chipset. SO two more potential areas to check there.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill