[CentOS] Thin client

Wed Sep 10 13:44:37 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> lingu wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>

>>   I am very much new to Linux Thin Client Concept. But know i am very
>> much interested to create Centos 5 based thin client of  512MB on
>> flash rom.
>>
>>   Can any one guide me to how to start and if you provide any suitable
>> links that will be very much great full.
>>

> Instead of 'rolling your own' based on a heavy desktop/server
> distribution like Centos, look into
> something like Thinstation. The work has already been done for you. If
> you want to do it as an
> exercise then by all means continue. Look into the thin client options
> and the rescue disk options
> already available.

You might also look at the k12ltsp distribution which has fedora and
Centos spins with LTSP and some other extra packages included to
network-boot thin clients.  Even if you don't network boot, it is handy
to have everything else set up on the server for remote thin client use.

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page  The EL5 version would
be the current Centos based copy.  Some work is in progress to turn this
into installable packages for the next fedora release, but for now it is
hard to beat installing this distro for something that works out of the box.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com