[CentOS] Alarming (?) smartd reports

Thu Sep 11 18:03:34 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:14 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Download the manufacturer's tools and run a diagnostics on it,
> it will tell you the truth about what's going on.
>
> I wouldn't trust any generic OS tools over the manufacturer's tools,
> there was a discussion on this topic on this list I think not too
> long ago. The biggest gotcha with the vendor tools though is
> they are usually limited in the types of disk controllers they
> support.

I was going to laugh this off 'cuz how many manufacturers support
Linux, but I was pleasantly surprised, twice, when I found that a)
Seagate does and b) the seatools for Linux produced no errors on the
long test.

It also told me lots of interesting information that I don't recall at
the moment, not the least of which was that the drive does not support
DST (the on-board diagnostics test), which I thought was odd.

Based on some of the other responses, I think I'll run smartctl to see
what it says, but that still doesn't really answer the question about
the number (4294967295 which happens to be FFFFFFFF).  There are only
a little over 5 billion sectors on the disk in total - how could 4.3
billion of them be bad?

I'm thinking it's more likely a 32-bit v. 64-bit issue, but I haven't
finished looking at that yet.

One other thing that I find interesting: the drives that are showing
smart errors are /dev/hdb and /dev/sda.  In order from oldest to
newest, my drives are:

/dev/hdb - Maxtor 120GB PATA
/dev/hda - Maxtor 160GB PATA
/dev/sda - Seagate 300GB SATA
/dev/sdb - WD 320GB SATA

The older of each of the PATA and SATA drives are the ones showing the
errors....

Thanks.

mhr