[CentOS] Alarming (?) smartd reports

Thu Sep 11 18:18:14 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

MHR wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Anne Wilson
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I had similar messages on this laptop.  Acer accepted liability and replaced
>> the disk.
>>

> I'm pretty sure the Seagate warranty is no longer in force - most of
> them are a year.  Maxtor's are, for sure - I've had to go through that
> once before, and they were quite cooperative, too, but that was a few
> years back (before Seagate bought them).

depending on the drive and how it was sold, Seagate drives can have a 3
or even 5 year warranty.

OTOH,  major OEM stuff sold embedded in a packaged system is the
responsibility of the OEM warranty (HP, Dell, etc etc).   'whitebox' OEM
stuff bought as parts at computer stores, you're the OEM, and they have
some level of warranty from Seagate, but I forget what it is
specifically, its likely to be 1 year.