[CentOS] cfengine and crontab

Thu Sep 11 19:41:49 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 15:23, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> The docs to installing cfengine refers to /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> That doesn't exist.

In RedHat/CentOS, this file is here: /var/spool/cron/root

But you should not write to it directly, instead you should run the
"crontab -e" command as root. See "man 1 crontab". This command is
also distribution-agnostic, so it will work even on other
distributions.

> Nor does /etc/crontab.

Yes it does. It is a file. Could you check this again on your system?
If it really does not exist, do you have the "crontabs" RPM installed?
If you don't, maybe something went wrong with your system's
installation.

> Heck I remember that from the
> "old days", now there are lots of cron entries, in /etc but no crontab.
> Not installed by default. So, I'm hunting that one down. Nate, what did
> you wind up doing?? Ric

Check again, because so far I've never seen a system without an /etc/crontab.

HTH,
Filipe