[CentOS] Custom build kernel patch fails big time.

Fri Sep 12 20:56:18 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 16:46, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Oh, one question was asked about how the ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.16.18
> directory looks like.  I think the linux-2.6.18.i386 (or i686) is not what
> the patch is expecting?

As some of the patches fail only 1/2 or 2/3 or 1/4, that means that
there is a part of it that succeeded, so it's probably not a matter of
directory layout.

It seems that what you are trying to do is take a patch created on the
latest kernel from kernel.org, and applying it verbatim to the latest
CentOS kernel, which is far far far away from the latest kernel.org.
The problem is that the kernel from kernel.org was probably changed a
lot between the version used on CentOS and the latest version, in some
areas the code may have changed so much that it's highly improbable
that any non-trivial patch will succeed there. That's why this is
called "back-porting", because there is actually quite a lot of effort
into it.

Filipe