[CentOS] java yum problem

Sat Sep 13 11:27:28 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 01:10 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers is needed
> by package java-1.4.2-gcj-compat
>
> I'm digging all over the place for this one. Has anyone a clue?? When I
> use:
> yum whatprovides /usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers it returns:
> jpackage-utils.noarch : JPackage utilities
> I've installed this from several sources. Nothing seems to provide the
> rebuild thing. I've used mc to looking inside the rpms I've found and
> none have it. So, I would guess something else does. Thanks, Ric

I don't know the answer, but I have a guess. I've noticed that often a
prerequisite is installed one place (maybe it changed from a former
location) and the dependent thinks it's elsewhere. The solution is often
a symlink (until the dependent gets "caught up").

If you do an "updatedb" and then "locate security-providers", you might
get lucky. If it turns out that it's really not on your system, the
google approach often yields clues to a solution.

--
Bill