[CentOS] question on sending mail with 5.2

Sat Sep 13 23:59:17 UTC 2008
Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> writes:

> I really don't understand why people just don't turn off their mailservers if they
> don't want mail from others.

Most of us have come close.    I get north of 500 spams a day unprotected.
I've been using the same email since '01.  I know many others have it worse
than I do.

At that point, there is no choice about loosing mail.   When sorting that by
hand (and I have)  I delete a significant amount of good mail.  The automated
filters usually do much better than this human when you have 10 spams for every
legitimate mail.

Rejecting mail from mailservers that don't follow the generally accepted
best practices, I think, is completely reasonable.  It gets rid of a whole
lot of spam, and  the rules are pretty simple and easy to follow, so I think
it is completely reasonable to ask people who run mailservers to put in a
little effort to setup things like rdns, and to make sure they don't do things
like retry once a minute.

what if my mailserver was rejecting with a 4xx because it was overloaded?
retrying every minute would certainly not help things.