[CentOS] Installing nVidia driver on remote CentOS 4

Sun Sep 14 05:10:15 UTC 2008
Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 20:40 -0700, Eon Strife wrote:

> Hi,
> There's a linux cluster somewhere (using Rocks), and I use remote
> desktop (nxmachine) to do the work on the frontend of the cluster. The
> desktop is Gnome. And, I intend to install new nVidia driver, but it
> requires me to stop the X Server. I check around the internet, they say
> we can use the /etc/init.d/gdm stop, but I can't run it since the gdm
> file does not exist. Another alternative is by rebooting the Linux (of
> course, we change the inittab before). But I don't know how to reboot
> remotely. Moreover, I don't know if it is safe to reboot Linux remotely, because I
> can't physically access the linux workstation. Oh, the operating
> system of the Linux is CentOS 4.
> What should I do ?

"init 3"? If you ran services (the gui) and checked that all services
were set to run on level 3 and 5, would the cluster stay up and you
reconnect back in with ssh to complete the install? I'm clueless about a
cluster. :) Ric

https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339