[CentOS] Re: alias ip-addresses at loopback

Mon Sep 15 16:14:12 UTC 2008
Dmitry Cherkasov <doctorchd at gmail.com>

2008/9/15 Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>:
> Dmitry Cherkasov wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> Could anybody advice on the following problem.
>> I need to assign several ip-addresses to 'lo' interface (beside
>> 127.0.0.1). It is convenient to me to implement NAT with such
>> addresses.
>
> The "lo" interface already accepts packets with any 127.x.y.z
> address.  Do you really need more addresses than the 127.0.0.0/8
> block?

Yes.
I need addresses to use for NAT masquerading. If there is more than
one outbound interface for traffic it is inconvenient to use addresses
bound to a particular physical interface.
Another example is some service that may require moving from host to
host. It is easy to move the service together with its ipaddress bound
to loopback.
There are also some other examples when such settings may be useful.