[CentOS] Users and ftp

Wed Sep 17 05:20:32 UTC 2008
Dmitry Cherkasov <doctorchd at gmail.com>

2008/9/16 Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>:
> I have vsftp chrooted so that users can only come into their home directory.
>
> I have a few virtual hosts.
>
> I have the websites in the home directory of the intial user for each site.
>
> So the sites look like this.
>
> /home/user1/html
> /home/user2/html
>
> Using vsftp, I have set the default to chroot a user to their home
> directory. So user1 ftping in whill go right to his directory and not be
> able to go higher.
>
> My problem is adding a second user to be able to access the directory via
> ftp.
>
> In other words, user1 has a partner named user1a.
>
> I tried adding user1a  in user1 group and not in user1 group...netiher
> worked.
> I tried adding user1a with no home directory and tried making their home
> directoy /home/user1
>
> In all cases, ftp says 'cannot move to /home/user1' when trying to access
> with user1a.
>
> I am to the point it is time to forgo the security of chroot in vsftp to
> just add a second user.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Just in case you don't find solution with vsftp you may try using
pureftpd. It enables mapping ftp users to system users so you can
create several ftp users mapped to single system user who is the owner
of /home/user1 -- as I can guess this hits your target.

P.S. I'm not experienced with vsftp, so there may probably exist a
solution with this package as well.

--
Dmitry Cherkasov