[CentOS] Run a more recent kernel than 2.6.18 on CentOS?

Wed Sep 17 23:08:36 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Usually I'm not one to complain about "old" version of the CentOS kernel
> and/or software, since I appreciate CentOS' stability. So this might be
> the exception that confirms the rule.

It's not the end of the world. I've a server with a whole bunch of
various services, running CentOS 5.2 x86_64 and a custom kernel, because
the network card is not supported by the original kernel. It's rock solid.

> What i naively plan to do: get a kernel SRPM from Fedora 9, try to build
> from there, and see where it leads.

Nah.
Get the vanilla kernel tarball.
Apply the mkspec patch. (*)
Get the .config file from the CentOS kernel (see /boot).
Use that config file to do a "make oldconfig" in the vanilla kernel
source tree. This will import most settings from the original CentOS kernel.
Now do a "make menuconfig" and peruse the config items. Make sure it's
not missing important stuff.
Now do "make rpm".
Voila, you've got a kernel rpm that's pretty similar to CentOS, only newer.

(*) - without the mkspec patch, the rpm will be pretty generic. The
CentOS/Redhat kernel rpm has a few more features that you need. This
patch adds them. See the file attached to this message.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/