[CentOS] Security Guide for CentOS/RHEL

Thu Sep 18 15:46:55 UTC 2008
John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk>

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 15:31 +0000, Josh Donovan wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
>
> > For rkhunter, as far as I can remember, the Fedora 8/9 packages are upto
> > date, so you could download one of those from a mirror and install it.
> > Personally, I install rkhunter from source, but you can build an RPM
> > from the source tarball if you want (the source includes an RPM spec
> > file). Latest version is 1.3.2.
>
> I haven't looked at Fedora for a long time but what is in the EPEL?

EPEL=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

> i.e. http://fedora.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/fedora-epel/4AS/i386/
> There seems to be an rkhunter updated in Sep 2008 is that for RHEL4 AS?

Well it seems to be the 1.3.2 version, so I would say it is good.
RKH (rkhunter) is very generic, so it should work under any (at least
most!) versions of Unix and Linux (regardless of whether they are RHEL
WS, ES or AS).

> Will the Fedora SRPMS (tripwire, rkhunter) for Fedora 8/9 rebuild
> without wanting a ton of stuff updated?

RKH only requires a couple of basic packages - typically just a
downloader like 'wget' and 'perl'.

As someone has already suggested, I would use something like aide or
samhain instead of tripwire.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001