[CentOS] Network issues with CentOS 5.2

Fri Sep 19 22:26:56 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Joey Mendez wrote:

> When I attempt to install the driver that came on the CD with the box
> r8168-8.006.00. Once I get to the step to Make Clean Modules all I get
> is errors

Do you have the kernel-devel package for your kernel installed?

yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r` kernel-headers-`uname -r`

And try the module build again, if it fails post the output of the
command. You could configure a serial console and access the system
that way in order to copy/paste, or perhaps install CentOS in a VM
and try to compile the module there so you can get the error from
the compile.

But it may be easier/better to get another NIC. Realtek doesn't have
a good history of making stable NICs under linux/*bsd.

nate